Google

12 hours by bus from West- to East-Timor and I found myself in the Third World of Timor-Leste again.

After three days processing time, I got finally my visa for Timor-Leste (the official name of East-Timor in portugese language and they didn't want to translate the name of the country in different languages).
So I could start travelling there soon. Unfortunately I realized only when I am back at my Guest House, the wrong passport number on the Visa. They wrote instead of  "2" a "Z". Uncertain what happen at the border, I booked a transport by bus for the next day.



A well-seen symbol for peace, found at a wall in Dili, Timor-Leste.



The Catholic Church has a huge influence in Timor-Leste.



The Travel Company for heading to Indonasia.



Another travel agnecy in Dili. They were very friendly although I didn't buy a ticket.



Many countries haven't yet an own Embassy in Timor-Leste and using instead the Embassy of Portuese in Dili.



Map of Dili, the capital is not as huge, but for walking around while this temperatures huge enough. 
(Sorry for the bad picture)



The flag of Timor-Leste (red color=the bloody annextion of Indonesia)



Ticket to Timor-Leste



Seat number five, I am sitting behind the driver. Good place, every traveller in SEA knows to avoid the back seats, because of the bumpy roads and bad conditions of the vans sometimes.


 The transport company asked only if I have a Visa for Timor-Leste. They wouldn`t see it.

It should be a long ride to Timor-Leste. The temperature today was very high and the air con in the bus was working at the limit and it was still hot inside. We made two short breaks to pick up other passengers along  the way.  Soe, another village on the way, could also be interesting for further excursions.

The most worsest part of the ride was the way from Atambua, our last stop before the border, til the checkpoint. This was more a simple trail then a road.

Finally we arrived after five hours at the border and I felt like in the middle of nowhere. It was at the northern coast-line of the island Timor. There were just a few buildings/huts and many helping hands for the baggage and for changing money. As lonely it looked while our arriving, as crowded it was in a few seconds.

We got a stamp out in our passport and went further to some officers for checking the passport. Everything was ok and so we walked across the borderline, where first UN-units be apparent.

Suddenly, while walking over the bridge, there arrived a convoi of UN-units attending two big SUV`s with darked windows, sirens and emergency lights. UN-soldiers vacated the road and around the tollgate. They positioned forces at the checkpoint and closed the area for everybody else. Unfortunately I took no picture of this surreal gathering. It seems that the visitors were diplomats. The plate showed "CD...", it means Core Diplomatic.

After this short incident we put the baggage in the new bus on the other side of the tollgate and drove a few meters further for the next check. First checking the passport again, ok, next place, paying the Visa-Fee and getting the stamp. I was happy to see there is no problem with that wrong passport number on the Visa Certificate.

But don`t think the procedure was finished, next stop checking the baggage. They checked really nearly every baggage at this day. I had a nice conversation with that guys and they seemed not interested in my baggage, so they only act like checking the baggage. I guess, they enjoyed more the conversation. :)

I met other locals with some English skills and everybody was interested to do some conversation. Most of them talk about the negative side in Timor-Leste, the big problem with the corruption.
One of these guys travelled in my bus too, I talked more with him, although his English wasn`t very well. He invited me to visit his place and if I want I could stay there too. That was not my intension, but it could be interesting to see the everyday life and so I agreed to go with him to the house of his family.

After this escalating procedure we put the baggage back in the bus and the ride continued. And this became the longest feeling ride ever I did......

The road was bumpy, seamed with more holes then solid surface and sometimes the driver tried to get around in artistic manner. The landscape was nice, a mixture between coastline with small streets in serpentinen ways and between green lush nature.

Even now it was conspicuous the poverty of the people. Not only about their simple huts, also the animal around the wooden buildings and how the people were dressed. And between this substantial poorness turned up a lot of brand new large vehicles from the NGO`s and the UN.






Finally we arrived at twighlight in Dili and the driver dropped off every one, wherever he wants. Though, it tooks a long time for heading to my new friends home. After we arrived, his family looked very saurprised at me and I flabbergasted when I saw this big family. I counted 14 family members and the house looked very small.

They offered me a delicious cake (later I gave them some money). I got the warm hearted people first time in East Timor. They offered me their delicious cake, what was prepared for sunday and I was profoundly touched by this gesture, because their family home didn't look very wealthy.

Unfortunately it was so difficult to have a conversation, coz they speak no English at all. After one hour I said good bye and looked further for a hotel. One of his brothers brought me around the city til I found what I am looking for. They didn't want to leave me alone for searching a hotel at nighttime, they mentioned it would be to dangerous........ :(

It found a small Hotel/Guest House, called Sands Motel, close to the center of Dili. They asked 30$/night. Tea, water and coffee as much as you want, free internet, AC, TV, free laundry every day (and clean too) and ensuite bathroom. Well, the window was very small and everything reminds me more at a holding cell, however, I felt well and the staff was very helpfull and friendly. You`re asking why I know a holding cell? I am looking TV from time to time ;) no self-experience.......lol

A small grey box above the water dispenser waked my curiousity and I recognized they offer free condoms at the hotel and thee was a description how to use it. Does it mean there is a plenty of prostitution in the hotel, or at least in Timor-Leste??? Yes, this is indeed a big problem in Timor-Leste, because of the poorness the timorese women and all this foreign employers. However, I never saw this anywhere else in SE-Asia before. I guess it is a good way to restrict the raising problem with AIDS in SE-Asia.



Instructions how to use a condom.




Before I found this accommodation, I tried to get a room at the most popular one, called East-Timor-Backpackers, but without reservation was no room available. They asked only 12$, but it was less nice and without all the free services.

After that exhausting ride into a third world country, I was happy to walk around, although it was very almost dark. There is not as much street lightning and so it was difficult to orientate, but at least I found an indian restaurant for a late dinner.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Last Month's Favorite Posts